I administer student surveys at least once per grading period for a variety of purposes:
- Check-in with individual students to see their likes and dislikes about the course so far.
- Get a sense of the amount of effort being put into the class, and what other activities may be competing for students’ time.
- Classroom management.
- Students’ trust in me as their instructor, and trust in their peers.
- Identify students who are not feeling connected with the material or with me.
I commonly use the Google Forms feature of Google Classroom to administer the surveys. Although I have used other platforms in the past (such as SurveyMonkey) most of my teaching experience has been in districts that encourage the use of the Google Suite.
A full list of questions from the last survey I administered to my students:
The following questions were answered on a “Strongly Agree”, “Agree”, “Disagree”, “Strongly Disagree” scale:
- My teacher gives clear instructions.
- My teacher expects me to do my best.
- My teacher provides opportunities to improve my grade.
- I need to talk less in class on a daily basis.
- My teacher handles classroom disruptions well.
- My teacher shows respect to all students.
- Students always show respect to other students.
- Students always are respectful to the teacher.
- I feel my teacher values me as a person.
- The band room is a safe learning space; I know that if someone says something inappropriate or does something inappropriate, my teacher will respond to the situation.
The following questions were answered with short answer:
- What do you like most about band so far this academic year? Please number your answers.
- What changes would you like to see for trimester 3. Please number your answers.
- Please explain your answer from the previous question.
- What are ways that your teacher could show you that she cares about you? Please number your answers.
The last question was answered on a “Very Well”, “Well”, “Fair”, “More Work Needed” scale.
- Think about the music you are about to perform for the concert. How well do you know the 3 music selections?
Survey results can then be graphed: